Dr. James Hargiss has been an icon in Seattle Ophthalmology since beginning his practice in 1951. He was the first in Seattle to perform corneal transplants in 1956, and in 1958 he established Seattle’s first eye bank. In the 1960’s, Dr. Hargiss created Ophthalmology Grand Rounds at Harborview and was a volunteer attending physician, even before an official Department of Ophthalmology was created at the University of Washington. For 50 years, Dr. Hargiss has been a teacher and mentor to residents and fellows at the University of Washington. This endowed Hargiss Lecture was established in 2014 to honor Dr. Hargiss’s service to the University and larger community.
Want to be Involved?
We recognize the importance of partnering with the community. Our efforts take us locally and abroad with special emphasis on underserved populations